January 3, 2011

Organic Raw Brown Rice Milk Recipe

I was reading a book by Natalia Rose: The Raw Food Detox Diet: The Five-Step Plan for Vibrant Health and Maximum Weight Loss, and there is a section where she talks about food combining. Now I'm somewhat new to the idea of food combining, but she suggests that for a raw food diet one should limit ones use of nut milks and fruit in the same meal.  Now, I normally in the mornings, or at least until dinner consume large fruit and nut milk smoothies, which I find in her book to be inappropriate.
 She meticulously explains the raw food diet in such great detail, its an amazing
book, well worth the 12 bucks to achieve serious weight loss and vibrant,
 exhilarating health. Not to mention her fun style of telling you what you need to
 be doing differently is done with compassion and understanding, and you feel like
 you could also benefit from her advice. I know I have so far.

What to do? I just happened to have a huge jar of Organic Brown Basmati Long Grain Rice, that I had left over before switching to a Raw Food Diet (hooray, for new years resolutions, right). I soaked the rice in fresh water for about 48 hours, because at first I was going to attempt to make a raw sushi with soaked rice. Once the rice was nice and "sprouted" (could not really tell as it does not grow a tail like other sprouts) I blended it up with fresh water, a couple of dates (pitted), and some vanilla (I imported it from Mexico, last time I went), blended it all up, and strained the rice stuff out. Delicious, Frothy, and faintly sweet. I quickly drank a glass on its own. Its nutty, and milky (more so than some store-bought milks I have tasted). 

Then I realized that I had pieces of rice that were blended into small pieces that when strained resembled or at least would be easier to consume if placed in sushi (but they were sweet little pieces that smelled of vanilla, somewhat off-putting in sushi I think). Not to worry however, next time I make some Brown Rice Milk, I'll blend up (make the milk) with just the rice and water, then blend the flavorings and the rice milk on its own, so that I can use the leftover rice pieces for raw sushi. 

No comments:

Post a Comment