February 1, 2011

Newest Hobby

Some of you may have heard around various health fanatic circles the not-so-new craze... Wheat Grass.
I recently (about a year and a half ago) succumbed to the tales of extreme health, gorgeous teeth, rejuvenating healing power, etc. While I agree that every person could use more chlorophyll in their diets, be it from fresh and healthy salads including spinach and mixed greens, or thick and "goopy" smoothies filled with spirulina (smoothies you add a tablespoon or more of cocoa powder to cover the taste and color - see recipe below); not many people I know who have tried wheat grass, like it. Most people enjoy the pricey shots of wheat grass at their local juice bars, at an average cost of say $2.00/oz. These people tend to report that wheat grass is very bitter and goes down like a spoon of bitter medicine (hold the sugar). There is a better way.
The way I have my shot of wheat grass is so delicious, its nearly addictive. I have been known to consume 7 or 8 doses of wheat grass in an 8 hr shift. The great thing is you can bring your live wheat grass to the office with you. My wheat grass is sun grown, and sold by Sun Harvest. I just take the cube of grass and a pair of scissors with me and keep it in my cubicle at work. Then if i happen to have a few minutes of free time, I just trim about an ounce, like a barber cuts hair (but cut below your fingers, taking care not to cut your fingers). Insert in mouth. Chew slowly like a cow in a sunny meadow. Slowly extract the sweet nectar from the grass. Why does it taste sweet? Chewing it breaks down some of its simple carbohydrates/sugars, making it taste sweet. Amylase comes to mind.

wheat grass in table

There you have it, a healthy way to get your greens, anywhere, anytime of the day or night (as the case may be).
I have used it for treating cold sores, cracked dry lips, settling nausea or stomach cramps, rescuing me from a headache, etc.

As promised my green smoothie entails:
2 bananas (frozen for thicker shake), 1 cup milk (i like dark chocolate almond), 1/2 cup of your favorite berry, 2 tbsp dark cocoa, 1/4 cup steel cut oat (i grind it in a spice grinder to a fluffy powder), 1-2 tbsp spirulina/wheatgrass mix powder, and one trimming of fresh wheat grass. Depending on how ripe the bananas are I add an optional sweetener: agave nectar, granulated fructose, honey.
This shake is deeply satisfying, may just have one for dinner. Cheers til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment